Friday, July 20, 2012

Hummingbird: The Flight of a Spirit (Part 1 of 2)

Originally Posted on Facebook February 28,2010 at 10:41 pm

A time of deep introspection and insight has led me to finally determine the hummingbird is my spiritual animal of the moment, and quite possibly my totem animal.

Native American culture varies from tribe to tribe, but it can be said that 9 spiritual animals with different strengths and attributes guide you through the different stages of your life, and there is one totem animal that remains with you through the physical and spiritual world.



Finding a spiritual animal is not something that can be so easily told to you, it comes from an innate feeling of connection in past, present, or mind with such an animal. So here is one of the descriptions of sister hummingbird.
"Sister hummingbird is a joyous Spirit Guide. Her speed and dexterity in flight seems to express more than just her need to find food. Her brilliant colors flash in the sunlight, capturing the eye whenever they appear. Sister Hummingbird is the spirit messenger of simple joyousness and exuberance and teaches not to take things to seriously. To fly our own individual colors in the sun; to live on the nectar of flowers, to move faster than the eye can see, these are the virtues of infancy and innocence. She reminds us that the road of life is a muddy one, and that we need to forget the pains that teach us our deeper lessons, and simply be as we are. She traces out the filigrees in the air to dance her joy. But this same power also protects her from larger birds, who can never out-maneuver her. Even the Eagle is clumsy next to the Hummingbird. Her powers are feminine, even though many warriors chose to accept a bond with her as a power that protects in battle. Warrior, Protection and Joy."



 

This feeling of warmth and draw I have toward the hummingbird was recently strengthened with the reading of some passages from an amazing book called "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz. They've touched me so profoundly, I feel compelled to share their message with whomever might care to hear.


"... It is so important to be impeccable with our word and to become a spiritual warrior. We must learn to control the emotions so we have enough personal power to change our fear-based agreements....


How are we to become a warrior? There are certain characteristics of the warrior that are nearly the same around the world. The warrior has awareness. That's very important. We are aware that we are at war, and the war in our minds requires discipline. Not the discipline of a soldier, but the discipline of a warrior. Not the discipline from the outside to tell us what to do and what not to do, but the discipline to be ourselves, no matter what.

The warrior has control. Not control over another human, but control over one's own emotions, control over one's own self. It's when we lose control that we repress emotions, not when we are in control. The big difference between a warrior and a victim is that the victim represses, and the warrior refrains. Victims repress because they are afraid to show the emotions, afraid to say what they want to say. To refrain is not the same thing as repression. To refrain is to hold the emotions and express them at the right moment, not before, not later. That is why warriors are impeccable. They have complete control over their emotions and therefore over their own behavior.

"First we need to forgive our parents, our brothers, our sisters, our friends, and God. Once you forgive God you can finally forgive yourself, the self-rejection in your mind is over. Self-acceptance begins, and the self-love will grow so strong that you will finally accept yourself just the way that you are. That's the beginning of the free human. Forgiveness is key."



I desire to be as a hummingbird. I desire to move mentally and physically with agility, free of the weights of the world I have tried to claim as my own. Free from the unnecessary pain and suffering that we have been taught by society to dwell on and carry around with us. Free from self-hate and rejection based on the feelings of never being good enough compared to unrealistic outside expectations from unseen judges and juries that I have been giving power to influence my life. Embracing my true colors and holding myself to my own standards of perfection tailor-made to the spirit I have been born with. I desire to fly my colors into the warming sun and sip from the nectar of the beautiful flowers that have been so wonderfully placed in my life. And as the hummingbird I will be a warrior in my thoughts and in my actions as I constantly battle the conflicting inner strength and outward force of the world. Though I may be small, I am filled to the brim with love for myself, my life, and all those I may meet. That is my hummingbird.


No comments:

Post a Comment